Monday, February 14, 2011

Showing Off Is Good for You

I'm going to start the series of actual project posts by showing off.  'Cause it's fun.  Sorry for the crappy picture quality; I have to use my webcam since my actuallyreallynice camera disappeared last year.  Methinks I'll be getting a new one soon.  Anyway, these are some of my past knitting/crocheting projects, pre-2011:

1. Scarves!  Everyone starts with scarves.
Knit - white Lion Brand homespun

Knit... I forgot what this yarn is called. xP


Knit - red Lion Brand homespun

Tassels!









Crochet - red and silver acrylic

Crochet - off-white and other acrylics


Crochet - same yarn as purple scarf only red.

The first two are knit with "knifty knitters," and the third scarf was with regular needles, size 9 (the only pair I own O.o).

My first crocheted scarf is actually the red one I'm wearing on my head, which I later wore for my role as Baker's Wife in Into the Woods.  It's crocheted lengthwise and has lots of mistakes and holes in it.

The next one I made chronologically is the red and silver one, before I knew how to tuck in ends rather than tie them in a knot so they stuck out of the work. Dx  With all those color changes, all those knots.  I'm going to sew the sides together, actually, 'cause it looks better when it's half as wide and the gross edges wouldn't be visible.

The super long one that's strangling me was also done lengthwise.  I ran out of the multicolored yarn, though, so I did off-white edges on it to make it wide enough.  It's one I don't wear much... or at all...

2. Next: a hat!
Crochet - blue and silver acrylics










This was actually the second hat I made.  My first was a puff stitch hat (pattern), of which I don't have a picture, nor is it readily available.  This is that without the puff stitches, your basic slouchy hat, crocheted in the round with double crochet except for the band around the head in single crochet.  The colors are pwetty. :D

3. Fingerless gloves.  Wicked.
White, red, and silver acrylics
 









I used this pattern, modifying it as I went to fit my hands perfectly.  After the first glove, though, I ran out of white yarn.  I thought, "It could look cool to have gloves of different colors... I'll just pick something and go with it."  Lo and behold, I ran out of red yarn right before I did the fingers.  So I finished off the fingers with yet another color, quickly wishing I'd had enough red to make both gloves look like the one for my left hand.  I think the red with silver looks awesome. Plus, after wearing them while riding my bike a few times, the white one has black marks that won't come off in the washing machine.

4. Dwight the Octopus.











Are you excited?  I'm excited.  He makes me squee.  :D  He's my first amigurumi, and a Secret Santa gift for a friend.  She was super stoked about him, and named him Dwight.  The pattern is based off of this, but I wanted him to be bigger and his legs to be connected slightly differently, so I modified it.


And then, it was 2011...

1. Another hat!
Crochet - color-changing acrylic
Earflaps and cables!










This one I find quite exciting.  This was my first project with cables, and I wanted to create the pattern myself since I couldn't find an earflap hat with cables online.  And then I wanted to experiment and work out my pattern using some crappy yarn so that I wouldn't care if I ruined it somehow, and I found this skein of the ugliest yarn I'd ever seen, hiding at the bottom of the box.  I think it's the skein that I stole from my church years ago.  Anyway, it was perfect.  As things go when making up your own pattern, it took lots of trial and error, re-doing the top 6 rows of the hat over and over and over again until I could get it right.  It's all double crochet, with triple for the crossing stitches in the cables.  There are seven cables going down and outward from the top, two on each side extending down the earflaps.  I've got the whole pattern written down and I'll post it to deviantART when I get the chance, maybe edit this with a link.

2. Last month I made another pair of fingerless gloves, this time fitted for my friend and this time with fold-over mitten-tops.  They're kind of fantastic and have buttons shaped like stars, but she's not available at the moment to model them for me.  They're silver and pretty and they made me want to pull my hair out most of the time.  The design of the mitten tops is my own, and they were way more troublesome than I expected, never being the right shape or size.  Then I finally bought a yarn needle and realized I could make each side and sew them together and stuff.  For the win.

Now I'm currently working on/planning some more cable ear-flap hats (some of my family wanted their own), and 2 more amigurumi animals.  I shouldn't say what they are because they're both gifts that are supposed to be surprises, and the point of secrets is not to put them on the internet.

That's all for now.  Bye!

No comments:

Post a Comment